Framus Atlantic 5/115

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by ndes01njd, Nov 13, 2018.

1. ndes01njd

ndes01njd New Member

Just came across this and couldn't resist bringing it home.

She's pretty rough but should clean up and fix up nicely. Looks to me to be somewhat of an ES 325 copy.??

I've got her fairly clean at this point but have some more serious issues to have my Luthier repair as you can see in one of the photos.

If anyone would like to share any info or experiences with these I'd like to hear from you. Hope to be stringing it up next week.

Attached Files:

2. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Hah! That one brings back some memories! A friend of mine played one very similar to that one in one of the first bands I gigged with. If I remember right, it got some tones somewhere between an ES-335 and a Gretsch, and seemed to be pretty reliable since he played the heck out of it for years. And get this, he played through a big ol' Heathkit amplifier.

[​IMG]

3. S. Rock

S. Rock Active Member

it's great to see someone else appreciate a Framus guitar. I first became familiar with them when I was stationed in Germany. I still own an acoustic Framus that I bought in 1972 at the PX.

I love the necks on those old Framus guitars. I bet yours is great to play. I came across another model of Framus hollowbody at Willie's American Guitars in St. Paul, Mn a few years ago. I would have bought it, but he was asking way too much for the guitar.

Congratulations and have fun enjoying that great guitar.

4. ndes01njd

ndes01njd New Member

Thanks Fellas.

This is my first hollow body and my first set of P-90s, so I'm pretty excited to get this one done, plus this one was born in June of '69 which makes it my oldest guitar and about a month younger than I.

5. S. Rock

S. Rock Active Member

please keep us posted on the visit to the luthier. I'd like to know what he says about that crack by the jack on the bottom.

6. ndes01njd

ndes01njd New Member

He believes that the crack was caused by the installer of the replacement jack in the photo. It was apparently a bit large and was crammed into the hole forcing the wood to split...

So now a more proper jack has been installed, the crack has been glued and the setup is complete with a set of 10s. I couldn't put it down for about 5 days because I was so into the new tones I was getting and kinda fine tuning things & getting acquainted with it. I decided to take a break from it and play around with a couple other electrics and acoustics for a few days to see if I missed it and to see how I liked it after a short break. Well I was definitely happy to pick it up and noodle around with it after the break! Keep in mind that I'm a hobbyist and don't have the experience, skill and the nicer equipment that most of you all have. So for me this is a fantastic addition to my modest collection.

S. Rock likes this.
  7. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

I'm glad you're giving this old girl a new shot at life! Enjoy!

8. S. Rock

S. Rock Active Member

cool ! that sounds great. glad to hear that you're enjoying the old guitar. I hope that someday I find one. I really like playing those old Framus guitars.

9. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Yes, it's always a worthy endeavor to bring an old instrument back to life.

S. Rock likes this.
  10. ndes01njd

ndes01njd New Member

I'm having a good time exploring it so far. Getting some good and to me, somewhat unique tones out of it. Most of the info I read about P90s say they are noisy but mine are as quiet as a humbucker. Plays fairly easy and projects quite nicely unplugged.
    Versatile and definitely one of my top 3 guitars right now in pretty good condition at this point. I'd say it's going to end up being very good after a little fret work and some more tweaking / tuning.
    Just wish there was more info available on these old instruments. I would just like to know more on the history and info on the pups.

SAguitar and S. Rock like this.